Health Benefits of the Juicy, Summer Fruit: WatermelonApr 25, 2018
Hailing from the vine family, watermelon is a huge, juicy and fleshy fruit that is famous all over the world, especially in tropical and sub-tropical areas. This big ball-like fruit represents a berry, with a green outer peel and red colored, luscious edible flesh.
Apart from the freshness that watermelon offers in the summer season, this fruit has many health benefits too, one of the reasons why it is cultivated in large quantity.
1. The vast reserve of antioxidants
The juice of the watermelon is rich in Vitamin C while the red colored flesh contains compounds from the flavonoid group. Lycopene, lutein, cryptoxanthin, beta-carotene and many other flavonoids make the fruit rich in antioxidants.
The main function of these antioxidants is to minimize the effect of the free radicals in our body, thereby reducing inflammations, osteoarthritis, strokes, asthma, etc. Vitamin C boosts the body’s immunological mechanism and hence helps in fighting against microbes.
2. Boosts the energy levels
According to the proven facts, daily consumption of the fleshy summer fruit can enhance the energy content of the body and reduce the sluggishness.
- Magnesium helps in the formation of more adenosine triphosphate, the energy packets of the body.
- Vitamin B1 and B6 help in the synthesis of the energy booster, dopamine.
3. Helps in fighting the cancerous cells
Watermelon is good in fighting against cancer as:
- Vitamin C and Vitamin A help in minimizing the free-radical damage and hence reduces the risks of getting cancer.
- Lycopene is an antioxidant that helps in combating the carcinogenic substances and in reducing the chances of developing prostate, endometrial, colon, lung and many other types of cancer.
4. Keeps the heart healthy
The antioxidants present in the pulp of the fruit help in reducing the cholesterol level, LDL cholesterol and many other abnormal factors that usually trigger the development of cardiac diseases. Also, citrulline plays an important role in maintaining the proper health of the heart and other cardiac organs, thereby establishing a normal homeostasis.
5. Helps in controlling high blood pressure
As watermelon helps in improving the health of the heart, it controls the blood pressure. This, in turn, reduces the risk of strokes or cardiac arrest.
6. Effective in reducing body fat
Citrulline helps in burning body fat and reduces the cholesterol level, thereby making it a remedy for weight loss.
7. Keeps the body hydrated
The high water content of the fruit keeps the body hydrated and that is why it is a good choice for the summer season.
8. Improves the vision by aiding in eye-health
Vitamin A and Vitamin C essentially help in improving the eye health and maintaining a proper vision, both in the bright and dim light.
9. Aids in the health of kidneys
The natural diuretic property of the fruit helps in the proper functioning of the kidney and hence reduces the toxicity of the blood. In addition, it reduces the risk of having kidney stones and kidney inflammation.
10. Control mood swings
The benefits of watermelon in reducing the anxiety and changing the bad mood are:
1. The antioxidants reduce the number of free radicals in the blood that can trigger depression, anxiety, irritability and other psychological problems.
2. Vitamin B6 helps in the production of neurotransmitters that are concerned in making the mood better of an individual better.
3. The fruit helps in maintaining the hormonal balance, thereby further aiding in the psychological health of the person.
These varied health benefits have made watermelon a highly nutritious and beneficial dietary food worldwide. This fruit can be eaten in the form of fresh slices, mixed fruit salad or even as juice or wine.