Count & Skip: A fun game to boost your kid's Mathematic performance.Jan 02, 2019
Games engage people a lot. Also, it makes learning fun and that motivates the students and helps them pay attention and stay concentrated on the subject. There is also evidence that proves that games related to education primarily encourages the children or students to focus well enough to learn better. In 1992, Lepper and Cordova have found that rewriting a lesson in a story format or teaching any subject with help of cards or any gaming instrument improves the learning performance of the children. Students are more interested in game-based learning because 21st-century students are different from those of preceding decades. If we make learning more fun, there are high chances that the students will be more motivated. This type of learning can balance subject matter with game play.
What is Count and Skip game?
Math is all about fundamentals. So, if you understand the fundamental things, then you can easily understand the subject. So, nowadays maths can be explained in easy language, plus puzzles, games, quizzes and a forum also help.
Skip counting is nothing but a mathematics technique which helps the students in learning and understanding the tricks of mathematics. Skip counting is one of the easiest and useful skills which we can teach to our children.
Counting numbers in groups and bundles is known as skip counting.
1. Counting the numbers in the bundle of sticks
2. The best example of skip counting is the human body because one person got two hands, two legs, twenty fingers and so on
3. Skip counting also includes bicycle wheels or car wheels which can be used to introduce skip counting by 2’s and 4’s respectively
Most state standards require students to learn to skip count by 2’s, 5’s, and 10’s by the beginning of second grade. Skip counting is very simple to learn as students are familiar with this and have self-confidence that they can do it. This is because they have had success with it. If the student can master this, 11’s and 12’s are very useful too. In case of number sense, skip counting help students notice numeral patterns. In numbers, the more patterns the kids see, the more generalization they can make about how numbers work. So, you must spend more time in skip counting using number lines and hundred charts, so that the students can visualize what is happening to the numbers.
Advantages of Skip Counting:
- With the help of skip counting, children start to realize the concept of place value and get ready to learn bigger numbers.
- Basically, Skip counting is multiplication tables. For example, skip counting by 2’s is actually the 2 times table, 3’s is 3 times table etc. By learning skip counting by 4’s, 5’s, kids master these tables.
- For counting of coins also, this skip counting game helps kids. For those children who have already mastered in skip counting, their ability to count coins will come much better than others.
Mental math skills are much needed to do simple arithmetic such as addition and subtraction. By learning skip counting, kids can develop the mental math skills.
- Even and odd numbers are skip counting by 2’s so kids can learn bigger odd or even numbers by using this skip counting by 2’s.
- Skip counting will benefit to your students in the area of Multiplication and Division also. Instead of memorizing facts of multiplication and division, they can increase fluency by skip counting.
In conclusion, we can understand that skip counting is one of the key arithmetic skills. It indicates the progress of students. The students must master this skill to improve their performance in Math.